Registration will be open until capacity is reached
but will close on Friday, October 18, 2019, 5 p.m. PST
In October 2019, join us as Campus Compact welcomes community engagement professionals and a team of distinguished facilitators to co-create virtual Communities of Practice (CoPs) for Service Learning in Community Colleges. This CoP will consist of approximately 24 participations in three regional cohorts.
A Community of Practice (CoP) is a learning community, or collegial network, that we define as “a group of people who share interest in an area of inquiry and engage in collective learning about that issue as it relates to their work or practice. Through discussions, joint activities, and relationship building, the community of practice develops a shared and individual repertoire of resources, skills, and knowledge to use in their practice.” (MN Campus Compact).
These CoPs explore the best practices and models in service learning in community colleges. Due to current priorities and directions among community colleges, how can we advance service learning in community colleges for broader reach, more equity and accessibility, and greater community impact? Participation in these CoPs will provide community college professionals with the space to share, reflect on, and build knowledge around:
- Models for service learning for community colleges that are equitable and accessible given the unique challenges and opportunities at community colleges.
- A review of successful and sustainable community college service learning models
- Best practices in recruiting, training, and assessing service learning
- Expansion of a clearinghouse of programs, syllabi, models, and projects specific to community colleges
All Campus Compact CoPs embrace and embody the following equity-based principles that: (a) everyone has knowledge to share, (b) everyone has learning to do, and (c) participants bring many identities and ways of knowing and that such diverse expressions should be encouraged and incorporated into CoP activities.
These CoPs will be facilitated by community college professionals from Campus Compact member institutions.
The CoP will meet five times between October 2019 and March 2020 for 90 minute sessions via scheduled virtual meetings (using the Zoom platform). Additional readings and or/resources may be recommended. Selected participants are required to participate in all CoP meetings. There will be three cohorts that are set up regionally with a capacity of 8 participants in each. Please note that you encouraged but not required to register for your home region. Acceptance into a cohort is by first-come, first-serve basis. Note: Listed below are the the regional cohorts. Click on the magnifying glass icon for all of the dates & times of the sessions and the names of the facilatators.
- No fee is required to participate in the CoP.
- Complete and submit your registration by Friday, October 18, 2019, 5:00 PST.
- Campus Compact membership is required (please contact your state/regional/national Campus Compact office to confirm Compact membership).
- CoP calls will take place online via Zoom using a webcam. Participants will need access to high speed internet, a webcam, and a willingness to learn how to use Zoom.
- Commit to personal and professional growth and development.
- Desire to deeply engage in an inclusive learning community with peers.
These CoPs will be facilitated by community college engagement professionals from Campus Compact member institutions. Please see the Facilitators tab for more information or contact Verdis Robinson: email@example.com. Register today to reserve your spot.